Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Sauced Plano: Creamy Cilantro Lime and other stuff

Welcome back all my loyal subjects.  I know I haven't been updating as often as I should.  The production department of the blog has slowed down, but that's only because the research and development department (i.e. me eating chicken wings) has been putting in serious overtime for YOU; the reader.  Anyways, on to our recent excursion.

The Queen and I recently took a trip to Sauced Wings & More in Plano.  We had been to the Sauced in Allen, and we were so impressed that Sauced in Allen has claimed my #1 ranking.  I hate to say it, but Sauced in Plano doesn't even compare.  Yeah, they still have the same great wings and combo fried pickles/jalapenos, but the environment wasn't the same.  The Allen location has a full bar, TVs everywhere, a banquet room you can reserve, music playing, and what seemed like a lot of energy.  The Plano location was smaller, had no bar, maybe one or two TVs, and seemed quiet.  The two locations really aren't THAT far apart, so I hate to say it but if you're choosing between the two, the Allen location must be the choice.  Anyways, on to the wings.

We split an order of the mixed fried pickles/jalapenos, along with an order of fifteen wings split across three flavors (celery, carrots, ranch and blue cheese are part of the deal as always at Sauced).  This time, we went for Creamy Cilantro Lime, Ranch Style, and 3rd degree buffalo (their second hottest flavor).  Reviews were mixed, so here are the results.

The Creamy Cilantro Lime was interesting for sure.  However, two thirds of that name seemed to be incorrect.  There was little to do with both the cilantro and lime in the flavor of the sauce.  This was some type of cream sauce, and I can't personally describe it any other way than it felt like I was eating a wing drowned in Alfredo sauce.  It tasted alright, but just didn't pack a whole lot of punch with the flavor, and didn't seem like what we were expecting.  I think the Queen liked these more than I did, so keep that in mind if you're taking a girl out for a romantic evening at Sauced Wings.  She also mentioned that the seasoning, which lacked both cilantro and lime flavor, tasted more like taco seasoning.  Definitely worth a try, but these will not be in the regular rotation unfortunately.

Creamy Cilantro Lime:
Flavor: 7
Heat: 0
Overall: 7

Our second flavor was Ranch Style.  I have to admit that I wasn't 100% sure what we should expect in ordering these, but maybe I was the only one who thought for even a second that these wings might come out and taste like Ranch Style Beans.  They came out tasting like Ranch seasoning, so someone out there needs to invent a Ranch Style Bean flavored wing please.  Anyways, these were the best of the bunch for sure.  They were crispy, very juicy, and had a nice ranch seasoning dusted on them.  These are borderline as far as being in the regular rotation for me at Sauced.  They were comparable to the Spicy Ranch wings at Pluckers, which we enjoyed as well.  No real heat to these either though, but none was advertised.  Oh well.

Ranch Style:
Flavor: 8
Heat: 1
Overall: 8

Our final flavor was 3rd Degree, which is their second hottest flavor and the hottest among the Buffalo style wings (Instant Death is their hottest but it is a ghost pepper mix, not Buffalo).  These were some of the better Buffalo style wings I've had in the DFW area.  The top Buffalo style wings so far have been surprisingly the Beale Street Tavern in Austin, and these were similar, but not *quite* there.  They were reasonably crispy under the sauce, good sized like all of the wings at Sauced, and had a fairly rich flavor that was a good balance between the vinegary and buttery sides.  The heat was pretty average for being their second hottest wings.  I would compare the heat to Original Hot at Wingstop, so take that to be whatever you want.  Maybe just a smidge hotter (we're getting scientific in the measurements there).  I will likely get these if we go back but I don't want to risk a 12 hours of digestion issues by pounding Instant Death wings, but hey, sometimes I just feel that need.

3rd Degree:
Flavor: 8.5
Heat: 5.5 
Overall: 8.5

No comments:

Post a Comment