Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Venetian Theater: Spicy Buffalo

So a few weeks ago the Queen and I were sitting around talking about how we hadn't gone to see a movie in forever.  She informed me that a new place called the Venetian Theater was opening a couple blocks away from my castle (in North Dallas at Trinity Mills and Midway).  It is a place styled after the Studio Movie Grill, where one can go, order real food off of a menu, real booze from a bar, and be waited on like in a restaurant.  She also informed me that there was a Groupon deal for some cheap tickets (INCLUDING A FREE SODA), so we thought we'd give it a try.  We arrived and presented our tickets and got our free drinks.  We both ordered Coke Zero, and were promptly given Diet Coke.  The Queen was highly unimpressed with this mistake, as the things she loves in this world are probably ranked in the following order:  Thanksgiving, Guacamole, Coke Zero, Chips and Salsa, Boise State football, back rubs, and Me.

After I calmed the Queen down and talked her off the ledge, we were guided down a long hall of very ornate decoration, some oddly placed Windows where we could see refrigerators and ice cream freezers, past the full bar, and to our theater.  I don't know why I thought this, but the layout was sort of weird or something.  Its hard to put into words.  I just felt unsettled.  Anyways, this place is pretty big, so maybe that's part of it.  The theaters are bigger than Studio Movie Grill, and I really liked it.  We plopped down in our big comfy chairs and started looking over the menu to see what we would have for dinner.

It is a rare occasion as I wander through this world stuffing my face that there is a diamond in the rough to be found.  As I search for the ultimate chicken wings, it is rare to go off the beaten path to find some wings that are truly great.  It happened in Austin at Beale Street Tavern, which are still among the best I've ever had.  Then there's places like Malarkey's Tavern in Dallas where I didn't expect much, and wasn't too impressed.  So when I saw wings on the menu at Venetian Theater, I thought I had a patriotic duty to test these wings and report on the findings.  I didn't have high hopes.  However, I was pleasantly surprised.

We ordered our food well before the movie started (we went to see the House at the End of the Street FYI), and I went with the Spicy Buffalo wings (as opposed to BBQ).  I was hoping it would arrive in time for me to get a picture, but unfortunately the wings did not arrive until the lights were already out and the movie was playing.  I didn't feel the need to incite a riot by whipping out my phone and taking a flash picture of chicken wings in a dark theater, so instead please see the artist rendering below which I think accurately depicts my experience.


The wings finally arrived, and it always takes a minute in the dark theater to get my bearings on things.  There was a plate with the wings, some celery sticks, and two cups of sauce.  One cup was the blue cheese, and the other cup was the buffalo sauce.  The wings were actually served having not been tossed in sauce.  That's a first for me, as I had never had to apply my own Buffalo sauce to chicken wings I have ordered.  Not a big deal, just odd.  However, I really enjoyed these wings once things got started.  They were served naked, and fried to a very crispy deliciousness.  The blue cheese was pretty weak, but the sauce was Buffalo sauce was good.  Good enough that the Queen decided to use it as a sauce for her french fries.  It had a respectable Buffalo flavor, not really that spicy, but good flavor.  There was plenty of sauce to go around, so dunking the wings in didn't become a logistical problem that one might fear.  I guess I could have poured the sauce onto the wings in retrospect.  Whatever.  The only real drawback to the wings were that they were smallish.  I think there were probably 8 or 9 in the order, and for the ten bucks they cost I would expect a little more.  However, a good crisp wing can make up for most any drawback, so this was indeed a diamond in the rough.  If and when we go back, I will be getting wings again for sure.  I recommend checking out the theater too.

Spicy Buffalo
Flavor: 7.5
Heat: 5
Overall: 7.5

No comments:

Post a Comment