Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Pizza Hut / Wingstreet: Buffalo Burnin' Hot

Welcome back my loyal subjects.  It has been too long.  With football season in full effect, the production department has taken a back seat, with the research and development still fully in action.  The boys down in the lab have been hard at work crunching the numbers and doing scientific experiments and whatever else scientists do to come up with some new data.  Luckily, the Queen and I made a trip for a chicken wing recently to help them out.  They were very grateful I'm sure.

Last Friday night, we were tossing around dinner ideas, and had discussed pizza.  I promised my baby pizza, so I was gonna get my baby some pizza.  Luckily, pizza places also sell chicken wings.  We decided on a Hawaiian style pizza and an order of Buffalo Burnin' Hot wings.  I didn't exactly have the highest of hopes for chicken wings coming from a fast-food-ish type place, especially one that doesn't specialize in chicken of any form.  I didn't have any faith in the flavor, the spice, or the execution.  However, once we got home we were shocked.

These wings were not bad.  In fact, pretty good.  They are naked wings, and pretty large as far as wings go. They were doused in a very thick sauce.  The sauce was pretty impressive.  It had good buffalo flavor, but not completely traditional.  There was something different about them, which the Queen described as tasting "Asian-y".  I think what she meant was that there was a hint of sweetness to them along with the spice.  Building on this theory, the sauce was also very thick as I said, so we believe this was a traditional style buffalo sauce infused with honey.  Its hard to explain, but it sort of had the consistency of honey, but obviously not THAT thick.  I mean that would be ridiculous.... maybe...

So we liked the flavor of the sauce.  It also had a pretty good kick to it.  It wasn't among the hottest you'll find out there, but for a fast-food chain these are some pretty spicy wings.  They fit nicely into the comfort zone as far as my spiciness palette goes.  Having been pleased with these wings, there were a couple of drawbacks.  They were dangerously oversauced, which led to a slight sogginess, but was dealt with swiftly by me dipping pizza crust into it.  And along with this oversauced angle, they weren't really crispy at all.  If you've read my work before, you know there's few things that get me going like a nice crispy chicken wing.  So all in all, I might not make these part of the regular rotation if I'm looking to just get some wings somewhere, but I do think these wings will become a regular feature in my rotation when we order pizza.  Very surprising, so I tip my crown to you Pizza Hut.

Buffalo Burnin' Hot:
Flavor: 7.5
Spice: 6.5
Overall: 7.5

No comments:

Post a Comment