Monday, May 21, 2012

Wingstop: Original Hot, Lemon Pepper

Good afternoon everyone.  We're back today with a little update for you.  I was starving all day at work and didn't get a lunch break, so I decided to give in to the craving and make an unscheduled stop at Wingstop on the way home (the Queen didn't make this trip, she was still at work).  Wingstop happens to be the closest wing joint to my house, so it is frequently in the regular rotation, and I happen to be a big fan as one could imagine.

There's a lot of little pluses at Wingstop that I am a fan of.  They serve beer, which is great since it is more of a fast food joint in my mind than a sit-down restaurant.  They have 50 cent wings on Mondays.  The combos come with a big ol' pile of fries, and their fries are great.  They are fresh cut and fried, and have a blend of seasoning that is slightly sweet.  In the commercials, Troy Aikman says he goes to Wingstop for the fries (not the fat check they write to him apparently) so you know they must be good.  I also love their blue cheese dipping sauce.  I actually use it more for the fries, because the wings themselves are quite tasty and not spicy enough to need the soothing relief of the dip to calm the burn.  The final thing that I love about Wingstop is that I often get lucky at Wingstop (hmm that didn't come out right).  Sometimes I'll get a five-strip combo, and BAM! Six strips!  And if you carefully examine the photos below, you'll see a ten wing combo WITH ELEVEN WINGS!  As we speak, I was telling the Queen the story about the eleventh wing, and she said she went to Wingstop for lunch today too (match made in Heaven obv).  She too got an extra wing.  WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?  I don't know, but this is a great day for all Americans.  On to the wings for today.



The wings themselves are of average size, they are naked, and they are fried.  The first sauce I went with was Original Hot.  It is a buffalo style sauce, but I feel that it lacks that little buffalo punch you can get in sauces at other places.  This is pure speculation but it tastes like it has more buttery flavor in it than the vinegar kick I like in a buffalo sauce.  This is the third spiciest flavor they offer, but is doesn't have much spice at all to me.  The sauce itself is slightly on the thinner side, so they are a bit slippery in texture.  I personally prefer a crispier wing, but to each his own.  This is still a tasty sauce, and my Queen usually gets it when we go to Wingstop.  As a result, Original Hot is a flavor I get to enjoy regularly.

Original Hot
Heat: 5
Flavor: 7.5
Overall ranking: 7.5



The second half of my order was Lemon Pepper.  This is easily my favorite of the flavors at Wingstop.  I'm pretty sure the sauce itself is some type of lemon butter, but there's more to it than the sauce.  These wings come out very crispy (hallelujah!), and after the sauce is applied, I think they sprinkle on a lemon pepper.  These wings have no real heat to speak of, but what do you expect from a lemon pepper wing?  These have a tangy and rich flavor that doesn't leave me asking for more heat like I do on a lot of wings.  The Queen says they are "citrusy and refreshing" and she enjoys dipping her fries in the leftover lemon pepper sauce.  The flavor, the texture, and the seasoning makes this one of my all-time favorites at any wing joint.

Lemon Pepper:
Heat: 1
Flavor: 9
Overall ranking: 9

No comments:

Post a Comment