Friday, June 15, 2012

Wingstop: Louisiana Rub & Teryaki

So yesterday the King was at work takin' care of business, doing whatever regal things kings do, and business was slow so I went home early.  I decided an impromptu celebration was in order, and what better way to celebrate an early start to the weekend than a little Wingstop?


As you know, Wingstop is the closest wing join to my house, and I enjoy them very much.  You can see my first Wingstop post here for more details and thoughts about the restaurant itself.  This trip, I went with my usual 10 wing combo and two flavors.


Our first flavor was Louisiana Rub.  This is a newer flavor they've been advertising over the last few months, and wanting to try something new, I decided to shake things up and give it a whirl.  As expected, this is a rub, not a sauce (shocking, I know).  These were very crispy (bonus points) and had good flavor.  It is comparable flavor to the Cajun wings at Pluckers, but the flavor isn't quite as good as Pluckers.  What these wings DO have going for them, is that they have a good bit more heat than the Cajun at Pluckers.  It isn't too intense, but a noticeable kick from the black pepper and cayenne I believe made up part of the rub.  It is a very warming flavor.  I recommend these as something to try out, and they will likely be in my regular rotation in the future.


Heat: 5
Flavor: 8
Overall: 7.75


The second flavor I went with was Teryaki.  I'd always seen these on the menu, but never got around to trying them out.  Well, the verdict is in and unfortunately these are probably my least favorite wings at the Wingstop so far.  They were a tad bit sweet.  The problem is that they weren't sweet enough to have that tangy goodness like the Sweet Thai Chili wings at Sauced, and they weren't really salty enough to be a strong flavor.  They were sort of bland to be honest.  The other problem is that it appeared they tried to fill up the entire wing container with Teryaki sauce.  I don't think I've ever seen such a high sauce per wing ratio.  Maybe they were making up for the flavor with extra sauce.  Too much sauce just makes the wings hard to grip and can send them flying across the room into people's faces on occasion (see the Queen for more details on this).  The Teryaki wings at Wingstop will not be making their way into my regular rotation, but hey, you can't win 'em all.  Wingstop will still be getting plenty of my paycheks.


Heat: 1
Flavor: 5

Overall: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment