Monday, May 14, 2012

Buffalo Wild Wings: Blazin', Curry, and more!


I'd like to welcome all of my loyal subjects to our first wing review.  To kick this thing off I thought I'd ease into it with a trip to somewhere generic, so I took myself (The King), my girlfriend (The Queen), and two of my buddies to Buffalo Wild Wings on Saturday night.  I couldn't very well review all of their flavors in one trip (as much as I'd like to try), so we got 18 wings split into 4 sauces and a nice basket of buffalo chips.  Perhaps a cocktail or two as well.

The wings themselves are average in size.  They are naked wings (no breading, although they now offer breaded wings as a new item), fried, and then tossed in your choice of what I believe to be 16 sauces or 3 dry rubs, along with your choice of a dressing, celery and carrots.  I go with blue cheese dressing(obv) while the Queen prefers ranch.  You can't go wrong with Buffalo Wild Wings whether you want wings, beer, or want to watch the big game (all of which I do).

Our first flavor was Thai Curry.  In the last few months these have recently become my favorite wings to get at BWW.  According to the BWW website the sauce contains a mix of sweet chilies and a "hint" of curry.  My girlfriend, the Queen, attempted to replicate these once upon a time using a "hint" of curry, and we discovered that the "hint" of curry used in this sauce must be quite a large amount to overcome the other flavors.  These have a very slight heat to them which is enjoyable, and they have a very warm and pleasant flavor if you like curry.  Like I said, these are currently my favorite wings at BWW, and my only complaint is that I'd love a spicier version of these in a perfect world.

Thai Curry
Heat: 4
Flavor: 9
Overall ranking: 8.75

Our second choice was Caribbean Jerk.  This sauce used to be my favorite before I discovered Thai Curry, but I still love it.  It is near the middle of their heat scale, and although it is listed right below Thai Curry, I personally feel these are slightly hotter than Thai Curry.  These have a little bit of sweetness along with the blend of jerk spices they use.  The Queen said these tasted more like a BBQ sauce than a true jerk flavor that she is used to.  Whatever the case, these were the most heavily sauced wings we had by far and it is a fairly thick sauce.  I wish they had a little less sauce, because when they drown the wings in such a thick sauce, the wings can be difficult to pick apart.  As a side note, if you visit BWW and feel the need to go off the beaten path and get something besides wings, the only other thing I will get is the chicken tender salad with Caribbean Jerk sauce and blue cheese dressing.  Thai Curry may be my favorite wings here, but this sauce is the best one to stand on its own to me.  Absolutely delicious.

Caribbean Jerk
Heat: 4.5
Flavor: 8
Overall ranking: 7.5

Our third choice was the famous Mango Habanero wings.  These are listed third on the heat scale behind Blazin' and Wild, but it is a fairly significant dropoff from the top of the scale to this sauce.  The sweetness of the Mango flavor does quite a bit to cool these wings down, but there is still a definite kick to this sauce.  This sauce actually has visible flakes of the peppers which give a little extra heat up front without a lingering heat (similar to your generic crushed red pepper).  Mango Habanero is a great mix of sweet and spice as I'm sure you can imagine, and my Queen really enjoyed these (having never had them before).

Mango Habanero
Heat: 6
Flavor: 8
Overall ranking: 7.5


Our fourth and final sauce had to be the Blazin' sauce.  I frequently get half my order in Blazin' sauce when we go out to BWW, and I find that the heat level on this sauce can vary quite a bit and I'm not sure why.  At this time I do not know if they make this sauce at the restaurant or if it gets shipped to the joint in a jar.  I would tend to think they make it in-house with how much the spiciness can vary (day to day, depending on the season, different locations, etc.).  This particular order we had Saturday night was one of the tamer orders of Blazin' wings I've had there.  According to the Scott Roberts website (http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/scoville-scale.php) which I often consult, these can rank on the scoville scale from 200,000-350,000 scoviles, so I'd guess we were closer to the 200,000 mark.  However, don't be fooled, these are still a very powerful wing.  They come with a (unnecessary) warning sticker you can see in the picture.  They don't have a particularly powerful flavor (or if they do it is quickly masked by the heat), but the main flavors we detected were the habaneros and the cumin.  Why would I waste my money on something the lacks a fantastic flavor with so many options available?  Because sometimes I just need to feel the burn.  There are better places to get really spicy wings that also have great flavor, but I still get these as a matter of principle.  BWW is also famous for hosting the Blazin' Challenge, whereby if you can eat 12 Blazin' wings in six minutes, you can get a t-shirt and a picture on the wall.  I have no doubt I could handle the dozen wings, but I'm not sure I could do a dozen in the time allowed (I am on the Pluckers Wall of Flame for example).  Plus I like to enjoy my food.  Being that this is the first establishment I have reviewed, the BWW Blazin' Sauce is by default crowned the hottest wing I have reviewed... so far.

Blazin' Sauce
Heat: 7.5
Flavor: 5
Overall ranking: 7

1 comment:

  1. The real difficulty with the Blazin' Challenge is not being able to eat or drink anything else during the time period allotted. Not that hard to accomplish...just not an enjoyable lunch or dinner. Three time before I moved on to other things. Atomic wings at Quaker Steak and Lube for example.

    ReplyDelete